Thursday, June 18, 2009

How Many Days Does it Take to Loose Your Mind?


Okay, I need advice. Carter has been fighting sleep for like forever. He needs his sleep, he is a boy and they need their sleep. However, he is not getting enough of it. Here is his/our dilemma. Bedtime is 7:30 and he will not go to sleep until around 9ish, if that. He can be dead tired, but will fight it for who knows why. We do the same bedtime routine we always do, but he just won't give it up. Therefore, he is awnry in the morning, all day, and then fights nap time even when he is (again) dead tired. If he does sleep, (which happens for nap time 5 of the 7 days of the week) then he is pleasant until bedtime. The cycle continues though. I need the advice of parents out there who have figured this one out already. Nap time isn't the real problem most of the time, it is just the whole getting him to stop screaming and actually go to sleep. He has his own room, so no distractions that way. There are no toys in his room and it is dark (yes, there is a little night light also). We don't give into his crying and thought children were suppose to outgrow the whole screaming when going to bed thing eventually (like after a few nights?)? This has gone on for months now. Please please please some one have solutions??? I am tired of getting Cody to sleep only to have him woken up a few minutes later by some little boy screaming forever that he doesn't want to sleep. We do love Carter a TON. He can be really sweet and loving, and maybe this is just another one of those phases they seem to go through at this age. Who knows, but I'm sure open to advice....Got any????

6 comments:

The Cleverley's said...

Ok Tara I've posted stuff on the other blog for you to read.... Good luck!

Heather said...

It sounds like you are doing everything right. When Makenna was little, there was a six-month span that she refused to take a nap. And though she rarely actually fell asleep for a nap during that time, we put her in her bed for two hours nonetheless. Eventually, she quit fighting it and would go right to sleep. So, I guess just keep doing what you are doing and hopefully he will quit fighting it too. Good luck, I know how frustrating that can be. You're an awesome mom!

Trisha said...

I hear ya!!!
Tannith is doing the exact same thing, and my friends little girl is too. I think it's just the age (at least that's what I've been told). I've even tried bribing Tannith, let her lay on the couch, anything. NOTHING has worked so far. So, we just put her to bed earlier, but this whole last week and a half, she goes to bed at 7:00, and still doesn't fall asleep until around 9:00. Ugh. If you find what works, let me know too, and vise versa.
I hope everything else is going well. You've got to post pics of that growing baby boy. Love you and miss you tons!

Springer Family said...

It won't be like this for long... That is a tough one, I hope he starts sleeping better for you soon.

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Well I think we all have been there. Sleep issues are really tough! I hope he settles down for ya soon!

The Nicolaysens said...

Well, since I don't have a little one that's been through that stage - I don't feel like I have much to offer. I had one thought though, since he doesn't even fall asleep until 9:00, maybe you could try putting him to bed half an hour later than what you've been doing and try to meet him in the middle? I know that you are a great mom and the one thing that I do know is that kids go through stages with certain things. Hopefully this is a stage :)